armenian infos

Discuss the origin of your family's last name. it's meaning and roots

Moderator: debbi

Fani Borel

Hello,

I am new here, from greek father and swiss mother and I stay near Geneva, Switzerland.
My grand parents (parents of my father) lived in Oriental Trakia, city Saranda Ekklisiès (now Kirklareli, Turkey). This is closes to Andrinople (now Edirne) in the north-west of Turkey and Albania fronteer. They had to flee away nearly 1922 with their 7 children (my father was 3 years old) and they arrived well in Xanthi, northern Greece. I am looking for the great-great grand parents (parents of my grand-mother, family Michailidis), they had a watermill on the riverside in Saranda Ekklisiés/Kirklareli.
My grand father was duely registered at their arrival in Greece with the name Ketegenis. After this, different spellings appeared like Ketegenidis, Ketigenis, Kadajenis. Also I see that our name is not usual, we are the only one (my cousins and ount) with this name. I allways was very sensible by the armenian question and I feel that perhaps my roots are armenian. One of my ounts (she passed away) was married with an armenian just after the arrival in northern Greece, she was 18 and the oldest child of the 7).
If some one has an idee about similar name in armenian style, please tell me any thing about this.

peace for all,

Fani