Armenian Origin?

Discuss the origin of your family's last name. it's meaning and roots

Moderator: debbi

Goldentie

I am a greek citizen living in Athens and my surname is Sourtaggias. The name is extremely rare, and in fact the only people who have it are my close relatives (five families). No one can trace the origins and the only thing certain is that it's not Greek. Speculations were almost always pointed towards armenian origin and maybe the original name was something like Surtangian, or Surtayian, or Surtajian...A common characteristic of that side of my family (my father's side) is that they have all light skin colour with almost blondish hair and bluish or greenish eyes contrary to my mother's side (which is typically greek) and she has a darker complex.

Would you be able to suggest an armenian origin or eliminate a possible link?
Thank you for your patience.
Stavros Sourtaggias
Fani Borel

Hi Stavros,

I am in the same situation. Our name Ketegenis is the only one, only our families. One cousin writes the name as Ketegenidis and he didn't know why (he died last year). After 2nd WW, swiss authorities here confused the name as an armenian at first time. My ount Katina married with an armenian orfanos with name Iliadis (greek name but he was armenian!). How to see clear with all that?

Best regards,

Fani
Rhyndakos
antispam: No

na kanete ena dna test tis patrikis sas seiras kai tha'chete wewaiotita gia to an nai i ochi. Echei mikrasiatiki katagogi to epitheto?
jonemere

Legendary Argentinean Armenian tennis player David Nalbandian arrived in Yerevan last night.This is David Nalbandian first visit to historic Motherland. He arrived in Armenia at the invitation of the President of the Tennis Federation of Armenia, MP Harutyun Pambukyan and famous Argentinean Armenian businessman Eduardo Ernekian. He will spend three days in Armenia.
portman7

You please try at armenianancestry.com and cyndislist.com/easteuro.htm and i think you will get positive ansewer.
Ancestry is important to make family tree by using genealogy family tree template to maintain family history...
dain45yl

Thanks for sharing the interesting information about the post.
It gives me the lot of awareness about this topic.