armenian soldiers research

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Kars

Parev polorun !

i'm looking for armenian soldiers WW1 (1914-18)
Armenian French Legion volunters 1917-21 / Legion d'Orient- Legion Armenienne

WW2 USA armenians who participed in war 39-45

photos,documents ...
Administrator
Site Admin

The Armenian museum and library of America has extensive information on the Legion d'orient. They are located in Watertown, MA. http://www.almainc.org. Also you can try the Zoryan Institute; they have locations in Arlington, MA and Ontario, Canada. http://www.zoryaninstitute.org/. On the west coast you can try the Armenian Studies Department at UCLA http://www.library.ucla.edu/libraries/y ... index.html. However online you can check this list that looks like it is published by Zoryan Institute. http://webpages.charter.net/anccenma/ge ... orient.htm. although I am not sure how accurate the information is, you might need to research that. Another source that I can think of right now is a book By Richard Hovannisian Armenia on the Road to Independence, 1918 were he writes about the legion. This should get you started on your research.
John Meldosian
Administrator
Forum_admin@armeniangenealogy.org
Kars

Parev John !

shnorhagal em !
Guedzess ! :D
Hodder

Hi,

I have a picture that might interest you. It's of my grandfather, Armenag Chahbalian. He’s propped up on his right side, on what looks like an Ottoman or divan couch. The barrel of a rifled musket rests in the crook of his right elbow while with his left hand he holds a long, curved sabre.

I'm not sure when the picture was taken. He was born in 1879, so he was a teenager during the 1895-96 Red Massacres: it can't be then, as he looks like a man in the picture. During 1912-1920, he was in Switzerland. Before that, he lived in Van. After that, he was in Constantinople for a period of about 2-3 years. My best guess is that this picture was taken during the Constantinople period. Or a bit later, perhaps, when he travelled to Egypt with General Harrington's troops before going to France.

Ruth
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi Ruth,

Do you mind sharing the photo with us? It is always intriguing to see pictures from that period.
John Meldosian
Administrator
Hodder

I would be happy to. How do I go about doing so?
Administrator
Site Admin

When you write a new massage. look below the box. you will see an option tab and an upload attachment tab, click on the upload attachment tab and click on the "browse". find the picture in your computer then click "Add the file"
John Meldosian
Administrator
Hodder

Thanks John for posting the picture for me. The picture is of my grandfather, Armenag Chahbalian. I know very little about his life in the Ottoman Empire, except that he trained and worked as a nurse with Dr. Ussher in Van. I know also he was a Dasnack. I'd love to hear from anyone who might have information regarding why he's dressed the way he is, and what his role might have been. My grandmother Valentine was a Red Cross woman. She belonged to the Zephyr branch in Van; in Marseille, the Red Cross was known as the Blue Cross, and she was actively involved in that group too.
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Hodder on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Site Admin

I am sorry that you are having problem uploading the picture. You can also email me the picture using the link in my signature at the end of this post, and I will post it on your behalf.
John Meldosian
Administrator
keropian
antispam: No