Petruse, Aratoon, Melitus, Minas

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Hamish

Hi,

I'm interested in Armenians in Calcutta and Madras in the 19th Century. The surnames are Aratoon, Ardall, Bagram, Elias, Melitus, Minas, and Petruse.
Agah Owen John Elias was a prominent merchant in Calcutta.
Gregory Paul Melitus was descended from Agah Shameer Soolthanoomean, who built the Armenian church in Madras.
Agah Aratoon Petruse was the son of Khojah Petrus Aratoon, who was one of the Plassey Conspirators in league with Lord Robert Clive of India.
Simon John Bagram married a daughter of Agah Owen John Elias, while Gregory Paul Melitus married another daughter. Both families and their children emigrated to London between 1873 and 1881.
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hello Hamish, the 1881 British Census for London, @@@@, England has two households next to each other:

(1) Catherine Melitus b. 1856, age 25, Calcutta, India
Barbara Anne Maria Melitus age 12, 1869, Calcutta, India (Sister)

(2) next household to Catherine and Barbara is:
Simon John Bagraw, age 39, born Calcutta, India
Marnmar Bagraw (wife), age 35, born Calcutta, India
Mary Bagraw, age 13, born Calcutta, India
Alice Bagraw, age 11, born Calcutta, India

address was 46 Holland Park and next household

Source: 1881 British Census from www.familysearch.org
keywords MELITUS AND BAGRAW

Hope this is helpful,
Jack, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hamish, www.familysearch.org has Simon John as BAGRAW, but his wife,
Marnmer as BAGRAM ????. It is the right person, I think.

More:
Barbara E.F. BAGRAM, age 16 born Calcutta listed in household of Fanny Metcalf, Highland Ladies school, Hendon, Middlelex, England

Daniel BAGRAM, Christing 19 Jan 1880, Calcutta, India, His parents listed
as Daniel BAGRAM and Haridonia

Jack
Hamish

Thanks for the help. I recently was introduced to the family.org site as well, and it has been quite useful.

Simon John Bagram and family are my ancestors. The census for 1880 misspelled it as Bagraw but it is most definitely the same people. The Melituses next door were part of the family that moved from Calcutta and bought up land in London. They actually knocked down the interior wall between the two houses to form one large house, although the census retains the distinction between no.s 46 and 47.

Regards
Hamish
liz chater
antispam: No

aa
Last edited by liz chater on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armenians or Chater in India?
Please go to www.chater-genealogy.com
liz chater

aa
Last edited by liz chater on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Shaw

I too am interested in the Elias family (who are related by way of the Addenbrooke line), and am intrigued by the other Armenian links as indicated by Liz Chater. At some point I would like to understand how the families fit together, and why they ended up in India.

Our story goes that the Eliases walked from Armenia to Calcutta as part of a diaspora but if Agah Owen John Elias was born in Sydabad, Bengal in 1786, then the family was already there well before the 19th/20th Century diasporata. So what caused the family to leave in the 18thC or before then, and does anyone know when?

It looks to me on the records that Simon Bagram's wife is Mamman, not Marnmar/Marnmer, but I'm open to suggestions. For those who don't know, a Holland Park address at this time was about as good as it got.

I look forward to any comments.

Chris
liz chater

aa
Last edited by liz chater on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Shaw

Liz,
Thanks for your reply. I have done some work on the Bagrams already, but I would imagine this is eclipsed by your research. I know all about the Addenbrookes, but that quickly becomes off topic!
I am just starting to explore the Armenian part of my tree, and I am encouraged by the amount of interest and research in this area.

Once I have got a better understanding of how the families fit together I am sure I will be in a better position to contribute!

(Barbara Bagram's husband) George Addenbrooke's mother Matilda (nee Westwood) also died at no.47 on 27 December 1899, so it was a busy house.

Chris
liz chater

aa
Last edited by liz chater on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liz chater

aa
Last edited by liz chater on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish

Hi Chris,

We must be closely related as I am descended from Barbara and George Addenbrooke.

I've done a fair amount of research on this, so can fill you in. Am v interested to know what myths/legends about the Bagrams you were told by parents etc., as there is occasionally an element of truth in them, and it is great to hear them before they are polluted by the facts.

My email address is hamishstokes@optusnet.com.au

One example is that the Bagrams ship sunk on the way to Europe and all their papers were lost. Also that they may have come to London via France (Paris?). Another is that they were friends with Lord Holland, and used to walk from Browns Hotel to see their houses being built.

Hamish
liz chater

aa
liz chater

aa
ChKathari

Hamish wrote:Hi Chris,

We must be closely related as I am descended from Barbara and George Addenbrooke.

I've done a fair amount of research on this, so can fill you in. Am v interested to know what myths/legends about the Bagrams you were told by parents etc., as there is occasionally an element of truth in them, and it is great to hear them before they are polluted by the facts.

My email address is hamishstokes@optusnet.com.au

One example is that the Bagrams ship sunk on the way to Europe and all their papers were lost. Also that they may have come to London via France (Paris?). Another is that they were friends with Lord Holland, and used to walk from Browns Hotel to see their houses being built.

Hamish
Hi Hamish and Chris
I would like to say that I am researching the Bagram/ Addenbrooke family and have info. to share. If you want, I will send details direct to Hamish's email address if it is still as given here.
With regards
Katharine