Ships they came on

Learn and share information about genealogical research

Moderator: debbi

debbi
antispam: No

I know my family came to Ellis Island on the SS PALATIA on 10/14/1899 from Hamburg ,Germany. And I have searched stevenmorse. & Ellis web sites . It turns out if they came 1st or 2nd class they didn't have to come threw Ellis Island its self. So there are no records to be found.
My cousin has a copy of the manifest so ay least I have that but ,I thought if others where looking for family and couldn't find them this could be why. I know the AZADIANS & KECHEBASHIANS came with money so they came 1 or 2 class and Im sure many others also did to.
I hope this can help others with their search for their roots . As until I found out about classes I was at a large road block........
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Albert..The spelling can change from generation to generation
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Sorry Debbie that I wasn't more clear about the photo of the SS Palatia.
I do not need a photo, because I have no connection to the ship. I was wondering if you had a photo for yourself, or if you might want one. One
of my interests in Genealogy is Ship photos for myself or for those genealogists seeking one. Have a great vacation. Jack R. Nasep
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Debbie, the SS PALITIA photo is located in the book, "Ships of our Ancestors," by Michael J. Anuta. The book is probably at your local library, or it can be purchased on Amazon.com. The ship description includes that it was the first of three (3) ships to bear that name. The SS PALATIA was built in 1894 for the Hamburg American Line. Her details
were 7326 gross tons, length 460 ft X 52 ft beam, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, and a speed of 14 knots. There was accomodation for 60 1st class and 2000 3rd class passengers. Her maiden voyage to New York was 28 April 1895. She was scrapped in 1925, after being sold several times (including the Russian Navy).

You might have known this already. Hope you are well rested from vacation. Jack, Manitowoc, WI
cathy

just wanted to let you all know that I have a book
"Armenian Immigrants"
Boston 1891-1901
New York 1880-1897

if anyone wants me to look up any names, let me know. I purchased this book hoping to find my relatives but no luck.
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hello Cathy, have you alread posted the family surname that you are researching? Many of the Forum members might help you discover the information that you seek. Jack, Manitowoc, WI
debbi

Hello Cathy ,
Welcome to our "gang" I also have a book " The Armenians of Syracuse New York " ............... But as Jack said give us the names, states, citys, and we try to help each other . But anyways Good Luck and welcome .................debbi :)
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
hovo

Debbi,
Out of curiosity were the Keshishians in your family from Cesaria?

Hovik
Visit www.ArmenianAncestry.com the webs premier Armenian Genealogy Forum. We give you MORE...
debbi

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS
OMG please tell me you know anything about them ! No one ever knows the names I seek.
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Acheick51

debbi wrote:I know my family came to Ellis Island on the SS PALATIA on 10/14/1899 from Hamburg ,Germany. And I have searched stevenmorse. & Ellis web sites . It turns out if they came 1st or 2nd class they didn't have to come threw Ellis Island its self. So there are no records to be found.
My cousin has a copy of the manifest so ay least I have that but ,I thought if others where looking for family and couldn't find them this could be why. I know the AZADIANS & KECHEBASHIANS came with money so they came 1 or 2 class and Im sure many others also did to.
I hope this can help others with their search for their roots . As until I found out about classes I was at a large road block........
Debbi - thank you for that great tip. I have been racking my brain and my many hours of research trying to figure out why I can only find one of my close relatives, my grandpa, through the Ellis Island data base. I know my mom and Grandma came 4 years later, but no record anywhere. I also know my other grandparents came and about what year, but I can't find anything. It's frustrating.

This is my first post, but I'll just say, I've been working on my family genealogy for about 3 years now. I started off slow because I had so many little things my mom left behind (she died in 1999) and I was trying to put it together. She had dementia in her later years and her things were all a mess. But now it's coming together and it's quite exciting.

My family surnames are Paternal - Kalashian and Okoomian. Maternal - Guleserian and Meneshian. From Kharpet, Dyabekir and Aintab.
debbi

Hello.........Welcome to the board ! Yes that Ellis class list really tossed me for a loop. As I knew where when and whom they came with / from Constantinople to Leipzig ,Germany to USA to Syracuse New York.
But Daddy found me the negitive he made from the origanial manifest ( must have been a sovenry copy) but I now have all the names. So I can help others (mostly Germans) But even if they had gone threw Ellis Island look at how they messed the names up example :
GGreat Grandma (real name spelling > GULVART KECHEBASHIAN
manifest > GILWARD KETSCHEBASCHIAN
see what I mean about spelling phonicly spelled
Well good luck if I can help you let me know Have a great day !!
sorry about spelling errors
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Acheick51

Thank you, Debbi - you're very helpful. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll post more questions - I have many!!!! :shock:
Yegvard

Hi Folks,

There is currently a Pay per View website, although the search is free at: http://www.findmypast.com/passengerList ... art.action

The ships left for all over the world. It may be of use if your stuck.

Mike