Bitlis

Discussion about various cities in the old country

Moderator: debbi

hyechik23

Anyone knows anything from Bitlis? or knows anyone that is a survivors from Bitlis?
kharpert12

All I know about Bitlis, is that William Saroyan's Parents are from Bitlis. You may look at that direction for your research.
mpaloutz
antispam: No

My great-grandmother, Mary Badigian Basmajian, her family is from Bitlis. Her mother was Markarid Karabian Badigian, and the Karabian family also came to Fresno.

From my blog:

Sunday, February 10, 2008
Another Arrival
I recently found the immigration record of my great-grandmother Mary Badigian Basmajian. She arrived at age 22 with her 52-year-old mother, Markarid (which means pearl) and her brother Vartan, who was 12, aboard the SS Laurent. They sailed from Le Havre, France on December 15, 1906 and arrived in New York on December 28. Also sailing with them was Markarid's nephew, Hovsep Karabian and his wife, sister and 3 small children. The whole group had their passage paid by Markarid's brother, Krikor Karabian, who was living in Fresno.
karineakopyan

My grandfather Azat was born in Ahlat, which is next to Bitlis. His mother Salve Kazarian brought him to Georgia Batumi in 1915. She had 3 children- Arshalois, Zinat and Azat. My grandfather
(Azat) is the only survivor from all three. I am looking for Salve Kazarian's uncle/brother (or their relatives) who escaped to America (possibly California) during masacres and sent her a letter in 1950ies.
Unfortunately our family lost the letter with information. If anyone knows anything about our lost family memebers please email to princesska45@gmail.com
Samourian
Power Member

Hare is a blog related to this post , as you can see it is not very popular.

http://westarmgen.weebly.com/tflis-or-tblis
Samourian
Power Member