parchanj

Discussion about various cities in the old country

Moderator: debbi

arianecarole

Hi, I'm Ariane, I look for someone who had a book entitled " Parchanj General History (1600-1937) written by Manoog Dzeron and translated in 1984 by Prof. Arra S. Avakian of California State University Fresno. My family was from Parchanj, and my great gran father Bedoian (or Bedoyan) moved to US and lived 18 years, I look for any info wich could help me to know better our story,
Thanks, ARIANE
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Ariane and welcome to the board.

Check the folowing post i think that is what you are looking for
viewtopic.php?t=80

you might also ask the question in that forum.

John Meldosian
Administrator
kharpert12

Hello Ariane,

I was looking for that book for a while now. "Village of Parchanj : general history (1600-1937) / by Manoog B. Dzeron" I just located a copy and I will have it by next week. I will look for the names you are searhing for and I will let you know.

Kharpert
mkgaroian

Hi,

Right now my copy is on loan to a cousin - I'll keep your post in mind when I get it back.
Our family is noted in the book, it's nice to have the family tree and some old pictures.

Tip: When trying to find a family member it can be helpful to know a brother, wife or father's name as well. In some families a first name maybe common and it may be hard to tell someone from their uncle without more info. Sadly in some cases women were listed in the family trees as simply "sister".

Some info that's helpful when searching for a copy of the book for sale:
Booksellers often have a search by ISBN #.

ISBN 0-914330-68-3
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 84-61302

Title: "Village of Parchanj General History"
Author: Manoog B Dzeron

The first English edition was printed in 1984, published by:

Panorama West Books
2002 North Gateway, Suite 102
Fresno, Calif, 93727

*The 1938 Armenian edition was published in 1938 by: Baikar Press, Boston.

While you can try to search/Google for the book's title, this often returns entries which cite it. What you can try is doing a search/Google for booksellers, and then from there search for the book. A few years ago when I was searching I found that www.bookfinder.com found the copies that sellers had available.

matt

PS: One of the contributors to the book was a man named Khachadour Gelenian. Until I read parts of the book in detail I'd always thought he was a blood relative of mine. In the 60's my dad and I would go and visit him (I was 5-6), and my dad referred to him as "Derder" as did most of our extended family. It was only about 10 years ago I figured out that he was the brother of my grandfather's brother's wife.
My dad, Kevork (George) Garoian, grew up in East Cambridge, MA. His father was Mardiros, and mother Acaby. They are listed in the second page of the family tree for Garoian.
mkgaroian

The Bedoian family was a good sized family. If you know your grandfather's first name I can provide more specifics.

Of the 90+ families detailed the Bedoian's are the 6th detailed, on pages 38-39.

"Bedoenk too were one of the early, multibranched familes. It is said they came from the village of Engija, and previously from the regions of Palou. Much earlier they were farmers. But in the 1890's tehy became devided into 6-8 established families. The great grandfather, Granddad Bedo, had 6 sons and 2 daughters."

The son's names were Egop, Marsoub, Krikor, Manoug, Garabed (wife Azbahar - known as Chortoutenk), Kevork. The daughter's names are not given.

Garabed became a Protestant preacher, and was the only one of the son's to become Protestant. His only son Bedros (wife Altoun) is the main focus of content in the description. If your family was Protestant then you would be from this branch.

Bedros graudated from Euphrates College in 1984 and was the village's second college graduate. He taught for a couple of years and then Came to America. He was a grocer in Worcester (MA) for four years, and then returned home, marrried Altoun, and was made the pastor of the Protestant church of the village until 1895. After the massacres (1895) he settled in Mezire. From 1897 to 1916 he was a teacher in the orhapnage school of the German missionaries in Kharpert. In 1920 he went to Constantiople. He served for 8 years as principal in an orhpanage and then returned to America. He was living in Sanger California when the book was written (1938). Bedros had 4 surviving children, Yedvart (who had 3 sons), Havhannes, Armenag and a daughter, who all came to America.

Kevork, another of the 6 primary sons, had a son Hagop, who had three children who settled in America: Kevork, Haroutiun, and Roupen. Another of Kevork's sons, Toros, had a grandson Boghos who is noted with a "C" next to his name, which I believe represents Calironia. Boghos is noted as having 2 sisters. Kevordk als had a son Manoog who is noted with a letter "C" - and it appears that he had 2 daughters.

Another of the primary 6 brothers, Maroub, had a son Adam who also has a "C", and another son Boghos who had 3 sons Asadour, Houroutiun, and Aram who are noted with a "C". Boghos other son Hagop had a son Boshos who is also noted with a "C".

Finally, another of the 6 primary sons, Krikor, had a son Baghdo who had a son Krikor who is noted with a "C", who himself had a son Terjan who is also noted with a "C".

Note: The family tree notes A for America, E for elsewhere, but also has C. It's not noted but I imagine this means California. I base this on the fact that Aram Bedoian has a C and asterisk next to his name. As he is the only Aram listed in the tree, and an Aram Bedoian is pictured on pg90 in the "Paarchanjtsis of California".

On pg 92 a you woman Hayoughi Bedoian is included in a picutre of women from California. It's hard to know her relation given the authors use of "daughter" in the family trees. It looks like she's wearing a wedding band, so perhaps she married into the family (?).

On page 96 in a picture of the Parchnjtsis of Marseille France a Hamparzoun Bedoian is included. His name does appear in the family tree and I couldn't piece together where he fit into the tree.

I've done my best to describe the portion of the family tree which appeared to get to America. I hope this helps.

Matt
alp12ha
antispam: No

I was looking for that book for a while now. "Village of Parchanj : general history (1600-1937) / by Manoog B. Dzeron" I just located a copy and I will have it by next week. I will look for the names you are seacrhing for and I will let you know.
Imagination is more important than Knowledge - Einstein
arianecarole

hi,I'm,sure,this,is,the,part,I,was,looking,for:

---"Another of the primary 6 brothers, Maroub, had a son Adam who also has a "C", and another son Boghos who had 3 sons Asadour, Houroutiun, and Aram who are noted with a "C". Boghos other son Hagop had a son Boshos who is also noted with a "C".

Cause,my,great-granfather,Haroutioun,had,2,brothers,and,we,remember,that,one,of,them,was,named,Aram!!!it's,good,to,have,some,infos!

do,you,know,if,Asadour,and,Aram,have,had,kids?

thanks,to,help,me,see,you,soon,(better,soon,than,me!)

Ariane