Dikranagerd.Tigranocerta.Amida.Diyarbekir

Discussion about various cities in the old country

Moderator: debbi

Ned Boyajian

The ancient city of the grand walls ... Any Dikranagerdsti out there?
C.K. Garabed

My grandfather, Der Kasbar, was the priest of the village of Alipounar, which was within walking distance to the west of the city.
His church was named Sourp Asdvadzadznah, and a photo copy of the painting on the altar can be found in Dikran Mgunt's book on Amida.
Der Kasbar, along with his eldest son, Garabed, was martyred in the massacres of 1895-96.

His youngest son, Hovhannes, my uncle, was the secretary of the Progressive School in Dikranagerd, and was martyred in the genocide of 1915.
Ned Boyajian

CK, this is very interesting. What was the Progressive School? Ned
Acheick51

Ned Boyajian wrote:CK, this is very interesting. What was the Progressive School? Ned
Do any of you know of any Okoomian's - they supposedly came from there.
Ned Boyajian

No, I'm sorry. I've never heard that name. Ned
Acheick51

Ned Boyajian wrote:No, I'm sorry. I've never heard that name. Ned
OK, well, thanks anyway. It does seem like a very uncommon Armenian name. I'd love to figure out the roots of it and what it means.
mpaloutz
antispam: No

My grandmother's family was from Diyarbekir/Dikranagerd, the Basmajian and Keshishian families. They came to the U.S. in 1899.
Edwardo

To Mr. C.K. Garabed ;

My name is Edward Der Kassbar , I've born in Syria but living in Armenia since 7 years, and i know that my grandfathers grnadfather name is Hovhannes Der Kasbar (kasbarian).
He was priest and martyred in the genoicde of 1915 , they were kasbarian before ,but they have changed their last names to Der Kasbar to escape more easily from Turkey , so i guess we are relatieves , i would like to have more informations about you please ...
my E-mail address is ( edwardobys@hotmail.com )
Thanks in Advanced;
Eddie.
Ned Boyajian

mpaloutz wrote:My grandmother's family was from Diyarbekir/Dikranagerd, the Basmajian and Keshishian families. They came to the U.S. in 1899.

Hi, are you still out there? I just ran into some Basmajians in my research.
lorib

Hello!
I am researching an event in Dikranagerd that my great, great grandmother told me about when I was younger. During the genocide, she worked for the 'General' that was in charge of the city...(keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...).
She states that one day she overheard that they were going to corral all of the men into a church and then burn the church down with everyone inside. According to her, she was able to convince him to save anyone who knew her. She stated that about 100 men were saved that day, but the rest of the men were burned to death. Does ANYONE have any knowlege of this event? Any grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that might have told that story that can corroborate? Her name was Lucine Jamgochian. Apparently, they told the Armenians that all the men were to meet at the church, and bring all of their jewelry, and knives with them - they were going to transport them all to a new city where there were jobs waiting for them, and that the men were to go ahead of their families to prepare new homes, and their families would follow. The General then went into the church and asked "anyone who knows Lucine Jamgochian, please step forward." They, of course, had no idea why, but she said about 100 men came forward. They were led out of the church, the doors and windows were barred, and she had to watch the rest of the men burned alive.

My daughter and I are writing the story and we are searching for any verification that this really happened. Any information would be very useful! Please email me at cmlori@earthlink.net if you have heard of it.

Thank you!
Lori Berberian

Family names:
Berberian
Jamgochian
Hovsepian
Alahydoian
Bedigian
magdalenamuse

Hi Ned:

I am glad you are still working on this subject. For everyone out there, I am going to Diyarbakir in a few months. This is where most of my family was martyred. I have been studying and collecting information, geneology and otherwise for many years. I would love input.

thanks so much!!
zemla

mpaloutz wrote:My grandmother's family was from Diyarbekir/Dikranagerd, the Basmajian and Keshishian families. They came to the U.S. in 1899.
hello I am berkay I living in the silvan old name tigranocerta pls meet with me my accont berkoys@hotmail.com
zemla

lorib wrote:Hello!
I am researching an event in Dikranagerd that my great, great grandmother told me about when I was younger. During the genocide, she worked for the 'General' that was in charge of the city...(keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...).
She states that one day she overheard that they were going to corral all of the men into a church and then burn the church down with everyone inside. According to her, she was able to convince him to save anyone who knew her. She stated that about 100 men were saved that day, but the rest of the men were burned to death. Does ANYONE have any knowlege of this event? Any grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that might have told that story that can corroborate? Her name was Lucine Jamgochian. Apparently, they told the Armenians that all the men were to meet at the church, and bring all of their jewelry, and knives with them - they were going to transport them all to a new city where there were jobs waiting for them, and that the men were to go ahead of their families to prepare new homes, and their families would follow. The General then went into the church and asked "anyone who knows Lucine Jamgochian, please step forward." They, of course, had no idea why, but she said about 100 men came forward. They were led out of the church, the doors and windows were barred, and she had to watch the rest of the men burned alive.

My daughter and I are writing the story and we are searching for any verification that this really happened. Any information would be very useful! Please email me at cmlori@earthlink.net if you have heard of it.

Thank you!
Lori Berberian

Family names:
Berberian
Jamgochian
Hovsepian
Alahydoian
Bedigian
hello I know these are villege I living diyarbakır in silvan badigian berberian I know my villege baquz and boshat pls meet with me
Carpet
Power Member

It is definately not Diarbekir, also known as Amida.

Perhaps the Romans renamed Dikranagerd/Tigranocerta and called it Amida after conquering it. They often did that, even in Anatolia. An example would be the city of Mazaka, which was later renamed Caesaria, after Roman conquest.

Didn't the Romans massacre all of Dikranagerd's inhabitants? It is possible that it's now a ghost city like Ani. Perhaps it used to be a ghost city a few centuries ago, and now, it disappeared.
Mushrooms

after Lucius Lucullos took over the capital of Armenia at that time, I think he renamed it to Martiropolis in memory of his fallen "heroes" who particpated to the battle and blocade of Tgranakert.
Tigranakert continued to live long after that invasion and has seen another invasions (persians, arabs etc). Even Salahaddin Ayubid took over the fortress and put his cousine as a governor for that region or maybe the city.
There is no question that it is a ghost town now. It used to be one of the most beautiful capitals and one of the most beautiful cities of Armenia and middle East around that time built by Tigran the Great. Historians are describing it beautiful city with very high fortress walls. Now there is nothing left.
But I am sure there could be at least something left like a ruins or a small part of a wall or some small surviving building which could be converted to the mosk or somthing by the current inhabitants.
But the question is where is it exactly? It used to be one of the 12 capitals of Armenia over time and it would be useful to know where it is now.I know some Armenians from around the world have visited it and they know exactly where it is. I was hoping someone from here could be the past visitor of Tigranakert.