Essai/Essayan/Esayian Surname

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Arkadios
antispam: No

I'm looking for information on the Essayan/Esayian surname, and in particular any people with that name who lived in India or emigrated there.

I traced my Essai ancestors back to a William John Essai, who was born in India around 1844, and married Annie Hutchinson. His father's name is John Essai and I can tentatively identify him as a J. D. Essai who married Catherine Malcolm in 1840.

Interestingly, the marriage occurred at the Armenian church in Bombay, suggesting that J. D. Essai was of Armenian descent. The origin of the Essai surname was a mystery, given the lack of information about it, so I decided to google a list of Armenian surnames to see if any of them seemed similar. Sure enough, I found "Essayan" and "Esayian" listed so I think Essai might simply be an Anglicized variant that J. D. Essai or his ancestors adopted.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about these surnames or their history. Also, any advice about how to proceed from here would be welcome; I haven't found any other Indian records of use and I have no idea how I could research their ancestors in Armenia or Turkey. Any help would be appreciated.
brent

Hello Arkadios,

I know of an Essai family, are you a decendant of / or an Essai, Essayan?
Arkadios

My grandmother's maiden name is Essai. Her father was Walter William Essai who was born in Bombay in 1876. Which Essai family are you referring to?
brent

Hi, is that you C.O? I am referring to the same ESSAI family, email me re: this through H's facebook, I have more info regarding J.D Essai etc
brent

What is your Grandmother's name? I believe we are related.
brent

WALTER WIILIAM ESSAI was married to Winifred Howe and had 3 kids william frederick and charlotte.

WALTER WILLIAM ESSAI also married Hilda King they had many children, which one is your grandmother?