Kaloostian

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

sandrad

Hello,
I am looking for information on Elizabeth Kaloostian (married name) Fresno, CA. My Great Grandparent. My understanding is that my great grandmother's name was changed due to survival from the Turkish genocide in Armenia. She came to Fresno, CA as a small child. She died in the 70's.
Thank you,
Sandra Kaloostian
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hello, Sandra...if someone in our Armenian Forum has a 1930 Census lookup capability, we could start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.
Do you know Elizabeth's middle name? Ancestry.com has a 1930 census listing for an Elizabeth Kaloostian in Fresno, CA, but I don't have a membership. Maybe someone in our group does. If we knew the year of emigration, we might find a passenger record of her original name, or a ship manifest that can provide clues. Do you know if Elizabeth became a naturalized citizen? Can anyone with a census resource help??
Thanks, Jack
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hi, Sandra, I found Elizabeth P. Kaloostian born 15 May 1895 Died 31 Dec 1980 Fresno, CA on the California Death Index on Rootsweb.com. It does
list her father's name as PARTAMIAN. Did you know this name? Is this possibly the one you are looking for, or is there still another name to find?
Other Kaloostian persons who died in Fresno include:
Hagop D. born 22 Nov 1884 died 2 Feb 1965
Marderos born 5 August 1903 died 8 Sep 1956
Mihran born 26 May 1878 died 14 March 1981
Virginia born 24 Dec 1886 died 14 Dec 1969

Hope this helps
Jack
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Sandra, another clue possibly...could the P. middle name be for PARTAMIAN? I looked up Elizabeth PARTAMIAN on Ellis Island database and found an Elisabeth Partamian, age 24, single, female, Armenian, place of residence Chypre/Armenia. She arrived 14 June 1921 on the ship ADRIATIC, port of departure Cherbourg. There were no other Partamians on the ship and only one other passenger from Chypre/Armenia on board...an Osana Lafangian, age 25 years. Osana would have been a relative or at least a person who she knew. Osana was #23 passenger on the manifest and Elisabeth was #24 passenger on
ship manifest #0023. Sounds interesting! The photo of the ADRIATIC and the ship manifest can be seen on www. ellisisland.org passenger search Elisabeth PARTAMIAN. I hope this is the correct person.
Jack