SANTOURIAN/KENJOSIAN/PALABOSIAN-Sivas Turkey

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Santourian
antispam: No

Hello all,

I just found this site and thought I'd at least get my surnames posted up. My Grandfather was Arakel Santourian who escaped
from Turkey <rumored, an older Brother who owned an Istanbul tobacco shop helped him escape> to Marseilles France then arrived in Provodence RI Jan. 12, 1913, then came and stayed in Chicago. His spouse was Noyhamzar Kenjosian, sister of Pilo Kenjosian died 1923 in Chicago. According to the Rail Road Retirement SSA application, born in Sivas, Tederag, Armenia parents were
Hovsep Santourian and Noro Palabosian. Though no documentation to prove this part, Arakel's siblings were according to what my father told me, Sukeyas, Simone, Nishon and sister Egsig back in Sivas. Course I will probably never find those connections but it's family tale.:)

I have not researched since 1990's so it's refreshing to start looking over the old documents again. Nice to meet you all.

Sharon Santourian-Holman
TimDeets

Hi: Pilo Kenjosian was my grandfather. I never met him as he died long before my birth. My Mom was 100% Armenian, and yes, her parents, Pilo and Sarah, fled to Chicago during the Genocide. My Armenian Grandma died when I was about 6, so I do not remember too much about her. My Mom was the greatest Mom ever. I live near Chicago and I visited Armenia for the first time in April of 2010. I am planning to go back this October (2010), and I am bringing my nephew Gabriel this time.

I do not know much about my grandfather Pilo Kenjosian, but I do know a few things. My Mom's birth name was Sirpouhi. She said that her Dad would hold her when she was a little girl, then he would list all of his relatives killed by the Turks and say, "Oh" however you say "mother" or "mom" in Armenian (sorry, my Mom did not teach me Armenian, so I am learning it on my own now - both Eastern and Western Armenian), over and over. Since the word for "mother" or "mom" in Armenian sounds sort of like "Mary," that became my Mom's nickname, and eventually her name - she went by "Mary" almost all of her life. I also know that when I asked my Mom if she liked her Dad when she was a little girl, she would smile and say "Oh yeah" and tell stories about waiting for him to get home from work - it was very clear he loved his family very much.

Tim
TimDeets

One clarification though, my grandfather, Pilo Kenjosian, died in 1933, not 1923, but everything else is right - fled to Chicago, Illinois, United States during Genocide, and worked for the railroad referenced.
Kenjosian

I am so amazed that i have found this website. my name is Trevor Kenjosian, my grandfathers name is John Kenjosian, and my great grandfather is named pilo. if we may be related i would love to know. i was just so interested in finding out about my roots. i would love to chat if you have more information
Santourian

Tim and Trevor, I can't believe I found your posts!! Tim, first I typed the dated if death, have Cook Co death cents...sorry. Trevor, your Grandfather John and my Dad Joe were good friends. Johns sister, Sema passed a few years ago and I liked her a lot. Guys, we are family. I'm in Chicago suburbs too. If you ever see this, I'm mustangshar@comcast.net would live to hear from you both. :D