Chahbalian, Chahbaglian, Shahbaglian, Chahbazian

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Hodder

Hi, my grandfather was ARMENAG SHAHBAGLIAN/CHAHBALIAN, etc., from Van. I know very little about his life in Van except that he was born in 1879 and that he started training as a nurse with Dr. Ussher in 1900. He received a certificate of nursing from Dr. Ussher in 1911; in 1912, he went to Switzerland because of illness. That's all I know about his life in Van. I have a lot more information about my grandmother, his wife. She was born Valentine Targoulian in 1888; her father, Sahag, was a cabinet maker. She, together with her parents and her sisters, fled to Tiflis in 1915. In 1920, she and Grandpa were reunited in Constantinople; eventually, they moved to Marseille. Grandma's sister Lousountag was a well-known author in Soviet Armenia in the 1930s, 40s and 50s: her pen name was Lyuci Tarkyul. I am trying to find more information about my grandfather and possible relatives. I am also interested in finding information about HAROOTUNE SHALDJIAN. He was one of my grandmother's beloved teachers at the American School in Van.