KOUYOUMJIAN, SHAHINIAN, BADULIAN, OHANESSIAN, JAMGOTCHIAN

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

Nancy

Hello:

I'm new to this forum and very glad to have learned about it. These are the families I'm researching:

KOUYOUMJIAN

This is my dad's family. My grandfather Puzant KOUYOUMJIAN came to America with his mother Mariam in 1908. His sister Arshalois came in 1904 and married David DERANIAN. Prior to this, Arshalois was the widow of a Mr. HOVAGIMIAN. She died in 1906. Puzant's sister Maritza came in 1907 and became David DERANIAN's next wife. This family lived in Northbridge, Cambridge, and Waltham, Massachusetts. The KOUYOUMJIANs likely were from Ordu, Turkey.

SHAHINIAN

According to my grandfather Puzant, his mother's maiden name was SHAHINIAN. A cousin told me it was KURKJIAN.

BADULIAN

This is my dad's mother's family. My grandmother was Shoghagat (Sophie) BADULIAN. Her father was Avedis and he came to America in 1909. Sophie, her mother Persape, sister Victoria, and brother Dikran all came over in 1911 and lived in the Boston area of Massachusetts (Cambrdige). I'm not sure where they were from in Turkey - maybe Trapezous/Trebizond?

OHANESSIAN

This is my great-grandmother Persape's family. She was born in 1866. Her father was Minas and her mother was Persape. My great-grandmother had a brother Sarkis Minas who was born in 1849 and came to America in 1887 and lived in Brooklyn until his death in 1940. The OHANESSIANs were from Girason (Giresun) in Trapezous (Trebizond), Turkey. There were other children but I have no idea who they are. My great-grandmother and Sarkis were the only ones who emigrated from Turkey.

JAMGOTCHIAN

Sarkis OHANESSIAN wrote a book about his personal beliefs entitled "Life's Demand in the Twentieth Century", published by Armenia Press in New York in 1918. The preface is the only place he mentions his mother Persape's maiden name: he says, "...the JAMGOTCHIAN family, of which my mother was a member..." Sarkis married Mary SUZENIDJIAN in Constantinople in 1879 and had two daughters, Ankin, who married Demetrius FINALE, and Sirvart, who married John G. VLAHAKIS. The JAMGOTCHIANs may also have been from Girason.

Naturally, I would glad to hear from anyone who might know about these families! Thank you for reading this post.

Nancy
:)
debbi
antispam: No

Hello Nancy , I'm Debbi

In Sarkis's book did he name , names ? I also have a book with an index of Armenian names from Syracuse and those whom came threw NY . But what I was thinking, is you and I could help others by looking for their family names in our books . And I also have 4 like day books my Great grandma Akabi kept . It has the days in German and mostly she wrote in Bdays , Anv's in English . The hand writting is to die for.
Well let me know what you think about looking for names
I also found 2 >Shahinians a Mr. Shooshanig and Mrs. Vagharshag( the wife
1 > Ohanesian , H. , listed as a tailor
Well see ya
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Albert..The spelling can change from generation to generation
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Nancy, knowing that you are a Genealogy librarian, I thought you might be interested in the website that I found today www.genesearch.com/ports.html by Joe Beide. This list is more inclusive than any list that I knew about. Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Dist of Columbia, Delaware, Dist of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York (26 lists), North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washingtlon, Wisconsoin, Canadian border, Mexican border, Mexico. Your resources are better than mine, I'm sure, but I thought you might be interested in this list. Thanks, Jack
Nancy

Jack:

Thanks for your message. Yes, I'm familiar with Joe Beine's web pages - all of them great resources! He occasionally posts to the genealogy librarians listserv I subscribe to.

As a genealogy librarian, I believe in passing on new or little-known information. I hope to see more of that in this forum.

Best wishes,
Nancy
Nancy

Hi, Debbi:

In that 798-page book, the only time Sarkis mentions family by name is in the preface. The rest of the book goes into great detail about how Sarkis sees the world and how he thinks it ought to be. He was obviously a learned man! He says he came to America because of financial ruin in Turkey; however, I don't know what his business was there. He was a food merchant in Brooklyn - import and export.

I wish he'd mentioned the family more in his book, but that was not his stated purpose, unfortunately. The only other thing he says about family is that the Ohanessians had lived in Girason/Kerasunde for 300 years.

You can learn an awful lot about Sarkis's beliefs here, but nothing about his family.

Best wishes,
Nancy
dpepin

I have a friend whose maiden name is Valerie Kouyoumjian and she is originally from Waltham, MA. She was born in 1955
boroma

hi!

i'm from turkey, live in istanbul.My surname is kuyumcu.And my family is from rize, that city is not far from ordu.both in black sea.here u can check: http://www.gezinet.net/images/kmharita-yeni.gif

we guess we are armenians.i said "we guess" cos we lost our whole family during genocide.my grandpa was born probably in 1910 (i don't know if he was born as a christian or not) and he died too young.so ,as my dad said, he couldn't ask him about what he know about his family.we have heard that one of our relatives live in argentina.but we found nothing.

i don't know if u r one of my relative.but i'd like to find them too.
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Hello Boroma, there is one KUYUMCU listed in the U.S. Social Security Death Index. He is Aeop KUYUMCU. He lived and died in New Jersey, USA. He was born 30 Nov 1955 and died 18 August 2000. He may have relatives still in New York, USA. Hope this helps. Jack Nasep, Manitowoc, WI, USA
nkouyoumjian

hi i am new to this forum site.

and i was recently searching for my last name Kouyoumjian and i came upon this link and i noticed that nancy said that her grandftathers name is puzant. i am pretty sure that puzant is my great grandfather and that we might be related :?: . My grandfatger is ralph. and he has a brother vahen.
ainley14

[quote="Nancy"]Hello:

I'm new to this forum and very glad to have learned about it. These are the families I'm researching:

KOUYOUMJIAN

This is my dad's family. My grandfather Puzant KOUYOUMJIAN came to America with his mother Mariam in 1908. His sister Arshalois came in 1904 and married David DERANIAN. Prior to this, Arshalois was the widow of a Mr. HOVAGIMIAN. She died in 1906. Puzant's sister Maritza came in 1907 and became David DERANIAN's next wife. This family lived in Northbridge, Cambridge, and Waltham, Massachusetts. The KOUYOUMJIANs likely were from Ordu, Turkey.

SHAHINIAN

According to my grandfather Puzant, his mother's maiden name was SHAHINIAN. A cousin told me it was KURKJIAN.

BADULIAN

This is my dad's mother's family. My grandmother was Shoghagat (Sophie) BADULIAN. Her father was Avedis and he came to America in 1909. Sophie, her mother Persape, sister Victoria, and brother Dikran all came over in 1911 and lived in the Boston area of Massachusetts (Cambrdige). I'm not sure where they were from in Turkey - maybe Trapezous/Trebizond?

OHANESSIAN

This is my great-grandmother Persape's family. She was born in 1866. Her father was Minas and her mother was Persape. My great-grandmother had a brother Sarkis Minas who was born in 1849 and came to America in 1887 and lived in Brooklyn until his death in 1940. The OHANESSIANs were from Girason (Giresun) in Trapezous (Trebizond), Turkey. There were other children but I have no idea who they are. My great-grandmother and Sarkis were the only ones who emigrated from Turkey.

JAMGOTCHIAN

Sarkis OHANESSIAN wrote a book about his personal beliefs entitled "Life's Demand in the Twentieth Century", published by Armenia Press in New York in 1918. The preface is the only place he mentions his mother Persape's maiden name: he says, "...the JAMGOTCHIAN family, of which my mother was a member..." Sarkis married Mary SUZENIDJIAN in Constantinople in 1879 and had two daughters, Ankin, who married Demetrius FINALE, and Sirvart, who married John G. VLAHAKIS. The JAMGOTCHIANs may also have been from Girason.

Naturally, I would glad to hear from anyone who might know about these families! Thank you for reading this post.

Nancy
:)[/quote]
nkouyoumjian

dpepin wrote:I have a friend whose maiden name is Valerie Kouyoumjian and she is originally from Waltham, MA. She was born in 1955

valerie kouyoumjian is my aunt my father is neil kouyoumjian and he grew up with his sister in waltham.
Neil Kouyoumjian II
aintabgirl

I am trying to locate any KOUYOUMJIANS from Aintab, Turkey or with any connection to my great grandfather. My great grandfather was NAZAR KOUYOUMJIAN. He was a goldsmith/jeweler in Aintab, Turkey. He married HOURIG HOPARTINIAN/HAROUTUNIAN. Nazar, Hourig and 4 of their 6 children were killed in the 1915 genocide. This is all I currently know about Nazar Kouyoumjian. I am hoping to find someone with more information so I can connect with other descendants.
Fani Borel

Hello Nancy and Debbie,

I have seen your messages about armenian names in books you found. I also found such names in a book about Eastern Thrace (Trakya) now turkish territories. Perhaps it would be an idee to wrote the names (often with city and profession) down in alphabetical order in a spicialtopic list here? So everyone could have a look then to find something helpfull for his researching. I saw armenian names of doctors and chimists in books and will wrote them down by next week.

Best regards,

Fani
Fani Borel

Hi,

In reply to above message. I found the armenian names again which are in a historical book about Oriental Thrace (Trakya, Turkey) between Andrinople (Edirne) and Konstantinople (Istanbul):

about years 1900:
Ov. Nachabetian / drogstores in village Makrochori Derkon, Trakya
Artian

Kouloutian Ibraïm and Ekrim (brothers)
Bezirtzian Tat. drogstores in city Raidestos (Redestos)

Chosigian (or Chosingian) Karabet drogstore in city Malgara

Now in Switzerland, near Basel:

Drogstore of Family Enezian

Puzant Masraff (born in Samsun). In year 1920, he opened a big Hotel with Hot Thermal Bathes, they are still working now in the City of Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland, near France side. He also begins with thermal drinking water called ARKINA, this name with reference to the springs near city Ani (Armenia).

If you think all this usefull, I can give other armenian names found in the book of Trakya period of 1880 - 1922.

Best regards,

Fani
dfcox14
antispam: No

Hello my name is Daniel C Cox and i'm 36 yrs old and living in goodyear Arizona. I'm looking for information on my Shahinian Family. All I know is that my Great Grandmother Mariani (Mary) Shahinian Married my Great Grandfather Sarkis (Jacob) Giridlian (Craton). Mary's Father was Joseph Shahinian was from Turkey and was Married to Rose Pombokjian. I'm looking for any information on the Shahinian's, Giridlian's and the Pombokjian's if anyone knows of anything it would be most appreciated .

Sincerely,
Daniel C Cox

dfcox14@yahoo.com