I'm looking for Khoubeserian

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

jodyt

Please help me I am looking for relatives of Hayganoush and Garabed Khoubeserain. They lived in Turkey. Garabed was taken in the night and never seen again. Hayganoush took her children Kosrof and Miriam and hid for sometime in Istanbul before moving to Syracuse, NY. If you have any info that would help me I would appreciate it. I have a family letter written in Armenian that I need help translating - if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much! Thanks for reading.
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Jodyt and welcome to the board.

We have a lot of Armenian speaking members on the board. I am sure they can help you translate the letter for you. If you can scan the letter as an image, you could attached it to your post and make it available to us so we can translate it.

also debbi, one of our moderator has a book about the armenians in Syracuse, NY. I am sure she will be able to help you.

Again, Welcome to the board and enjoy your visit

John Meldosian
Administrator
achouk

jodyt wrote:Please help me I am looking for relatives of Hayganoush and Garabed Khoubeserain. They lived in Turkey. Garabed was taken in the night and never seen again. Hayganoush took her children Kosrof and Miriam and hid for sometime in Istanbul before moving to Syracuse, NY. If you have any info that would help me I would appreciate it. I have a family letter written in Armenian that I need help translating - if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much! Thanks for reading.
Hi there,

I read your post about the Khoubeserian family. I know that there was a family in Indiana named Khoubeserian who later changed their name to Kubert. Sarkis and Siranoush (Sarah) lived there in 1930 with their sons Diran and Jacob. If you search in the 1930 census under the name Khoubeseran you will find it. Looks like they missed the "i" in the "ian".

I also found the Ellis Island record for when the wife and sons immigrated on 6/18/1921. This time they had the name spelled Koupesserian.

This family originally came from Kayseri/Ceserea in central Turkey. The key is to know which village your family originated. Many people say that their families came from Istanbul, but in most cases their ancestors moved there from other villages from the interior of Turkey/Armenia.

A relative of this family told me that this family had eventually changed their last name to Kubert. Someone with the name of Jacob Kubert died on 8/12/1973 in Dowagiac, Cass County, Michigan. There is a very good possibility that he was the son in this family.

I don't know much more, but if you wish to contact me my e-mail address is achouk@gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Janet Andreopoulos