Armenian Genealogy

Post your genealogy queries

Moderator: debbi

debbi
antispam: No

Hello to all :D
I was wondering if anyone has any good Genealogy sites ?? I think I have tried all the Armenian / Turkish ones out there .
And Ancestry.com well I tried it (it sucks :cry: ) for Armenian info they claim its loaded with info ya right $189. and a year later
, Well if you know of any good sites or even family trees let me know please .
Thanks and have a great day 8)
debbi
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Albert..The spelling can change from generation to generation
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi Debbi,

As I mentioned before we are in the process of building the site.
As you found out that it is not easy to get all the facts and information about Armenians. One of the tasks that the design team is working on is getting the church records (Baptism, Marriage, Death.) Hopefully they will succeed. If there is a specific thing or feature that you would like to see in the site, create a new topic in the forum and lets discuss it. Your help will be much appreciated. Please bear with us as we built the site.

Thanks.
debbi
antispam: No

Well its probaly not much but , I plan to help anyone looking for Armenians that went to Syracuse, New York. I think I posted that I have a book called
" Like One Family " The Armenians of Syracuse
written by a wonderful woman called Arpena S. Mesrobian
That is a wealth of info ....Many many names dates etc.

My Great Grandparents Harutun & Akabi Azadian & their family's are A big part of the book with many quote's by Robert Koolakian (my cousin) another book about Armenians in Syracuse and the old country (i think) has been written by Bob.... Have to get back to you on that one tho
[/b]
My Family Tree...
Azadian
Kechebashian
Keish(ish)ian
Altoon(j)ian
Dest(er)ian
Kelikian
Albert..The spelling can change from generation to generation
aintabgirl

Hi, Debbi. We're all in the same boat. I post on every genealogy site I can find. I've had the best luck, thusfar, using the Armenia forum on genealogy.com. You can post queries and get replies for free. Sometimes it takes awhile. My most exciting response came after 3+ years, but a third cousin found my query and has been able to fill in name of my great grandparents, great-great grandparents, their spouses and children....information I'd given up ever finding. We don't have any dates, but at least we can put names with the faces in the photos. It has been an unbelievable blessing. One of the problems we face is that so many of the older generation are gone and those who remain and can actually "remember" people and information are rapidly leaving us. These elders are not computer users, so we must pray and do our part that the younger generation will interview and write down all they can gather before the info. is lost forever. We must also encourage everyone who can to use the internet to get connected---it's a marvelous tool. For some of us, it is our only hope of finding each other. May God bless your search (and keep us all active and united in our quest). Lisa
Kevork

Hi Debbi,
I think this infatuation with Genealogy and searches is a western phenomena. The answers unfortunately are back east. I am trying to put pieces together too. I find it very frustrating. The problems we face are many. Armenians did not always have family names. Even within the same family, last names could have changed. Armenians usually used first names with referance to the father and normally a town or village. Armenian letters and sounds are not easily translated. Names are often translated, mispelled, or outright changed at immigration. I heard the story of one family called Hatsakordzian, the immigration judge at Ellis Island couldn't say the name and triumphantly proclaimed they would henceforth be known as Baker when told the meaning of the name. He wouldn't let them in otherwise!
Armenian families have been scattered around the globe and family ties severed. The only way to piece the puzzle is to see if the same names come up from the same roots and villages. Again, I doubt too many from the Medditeranean would be looking at this. Mainly North America. Also I find Armenians are quite shy about such matters.
All this to say you have quite a task and I aplaud you. By the way, I notice that you listed Kechichian as a family branch? Your spelling was slightly different. Did you know that the first Archbishop to Canada His Holiness Vasken I was a Kechichian? He was also related from my mother's side. :D
Fani Borel

Hello,

I have seen old postcard pics on the following site: http://armenianpages.com
There are also several interesting links for history.

Best regards,

Fani