Lindsey Vonn and Erik Guay receive prestigious press awards!

Discussing the latest Armenian news

Moderator: debbi

Vako
antispam: No

As the skiing season is just reaching it’s peak, Red Bull athletes Lindsey Vonn and Erik Guay receive prestigious awards for their sportive achievements in 2010!

Red Bull speedqueen Lindsey Vonn is given honour by being voted the “AP female athlete of the year” by a panel of American sports journalists. But even though Associated Press announces “athletes of the year” awards since 1931, never before has this award been given to a skiing athlete, neither male nor female. Lindsey Vonn is therefore the first alpine skier to stand in line with unforgettable sports stars like Mohammed Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan or Steffi Graf, who have all received the AP award in their careers.

Vonn's accomplishments for winning the award were many:
• the first U.S. woman to win a gold medal in the Olympic downhill.
• a bronze medal in the Olympic super-G.
• the first woman with three overall World Cup titles in a row since Petra Kronberger of Austria in 1990-92.
• 11 World Cup race victories in the 2009-10 season, breaking her own American record of nine.
• her downhill, super-G and super-combined titles made her the first American to win three World Cup disciplines in a single season.
• her 35 career World Cup wins are more than any Alpine skier from the United States

"For sure, 2010 was the best year I've ever had," the 26-year-old Vonn commented, "It couldn't have gone any better for me. Even if I just won the Olympic gold medal, that would have made it the best year of my career and the best day of my life, period. Winning the World Cup races and the overall title just topped it off."
The Canadian television channel RDS (Réseau des sports) named Erik Guay their male athlete of the year. Erik reached his career highlight last season when he won the races at Kvitfjell and Garmisch to take first place in the Super-G world cup. Beyond that, he was the Canadian skier to place best in the Olympic races at Vancouver, where he missed the podium twice by only hundredth of a second.