Why is it important to be Armenian?

General discussion about the site and its contents development.

Moderators: debbi, Design_team

aivazian

I have been struggling with this issue all of my life (age 49). My Father was born in Fresno His father died when he was about 10 years old.

There has been no history of armenia except for the genocide.

I have met lots of armenians in the US but we seem to treat each other like just another american guy.

I went to Turkey a few years ago and I wore my proud to be an armenian t-shirt at the grand bizarre and i was met by many armenians and louded a hero or at least felt like one.I was taken to lunch and dinner and we were treated like long lost friends.

So I ask myself the subject question.....

Theo
Theo Aivazian
Araxie

Well, I moved to the UK about 20 years ago, and have never met another Armenian since then. A Greek man once expressed delight at my surname though ("Ah! you Armenian! The greeks and the Armenians have always been great friends, we have both suffered at the hands of the Turks!")

But when I lived in the US, my experience was totally different to yours. I found that other Armenians were very keen to know me, simply because I was Armenian. My sister met her husband because he was looking through a high school year book, recognised her name as Armenian, and decided that he had to get to know her (he is Armenian too). So, I don't know why your experience is different.

As to why it's important - why is anything that contributes to a person's self identity important? Why does anyone care about culture and tradition (even if just to break away from it). I suspect it's the interplay of diversity and shared history - wanting to preserve diversity because that's what makes life interesting, but also being intrigued by shared experiences that bind you to others.

I haven't got any better answer than that I'm afraid.