Church Records

General discussion about the site and its contents development.

Moderators: debbi, Design_team

Yegvard

As birth, marriage and death certificates are likely to be unavailable, some effort, I suggest, needs to be directed to locating Church registers around the world. I would venture that many Churches probably have their own websites. The process can then be started to find ways of copying and translating the registers.

Also how about a set of links to Church communities

For Mancheter's try: http://www.armenianchurchmanchester.org.uk/index.htm

Mike
Design_team

Glad you found us.

We are looking into the possibility of acquiring church records. Here in the US there is the privacy act, which means that if the person is still living, his records are protected by the privacy act. I don't know if this applies to England or other countries. However we are thinking of ways on getting these records and at the same time not violating any laws. Your Suggestion about the church links sounds great; we will definitely include it in the site.
Thanks again for your suggestions; it is nice to see that people from other countries find our site. Please share with us on how you found this site. We are trying to get the word out about this site. We welcome any suggestions.

Design_team
Yegvard

Hi

From a genealogical point of view you could argue that there better ways than Church Records to track down the living. So you could say that young records -say under 80 years - could be ignored, for the moment. Official records, i.e. certificates, and press reports, telephone books and the Internet are for the living.

Older church records, older census details, emmigration/immigration records and ships passenger lists are what we need.

As for finding Churhes, a Google search gave me this: http://www.cilicia.com/armo_church_directory.html

Unlike some family historians, I'm not interested in how many thousands of names I can put in a my tree. What I am after facts based on primary records. Unfortunately I don't read Armenian so I need to rely on someone else's translation, preferably independantly checked. Relying on transcriptions is poor practise here in England, but you do what you can.

Mike