What are these men doing?

Share files or pictures that you might think it be interesting to the group

Moderator: debbi

avedis

Here's a picture of some Armenian men having a picnic. If anyone has any ideas about what the occasion might be, I'd be interested to hear. Two of the men are wearing aprons, and the one on the far left appears to have dough on his hands. It seems odd to me that men are doing the cooking, rather than women, so I assume that there are no women present. Everyone appears to be dressed up. (I'm certainly not an expert on clothing styles of the time)

Date of the picture is unknown, but I believe it was around 1890-1900. Location would probably be in or around Kharpert.

Thanks for any ideas.
avedis

Here's the picture.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Let me pose the question differently...

Does anyone know about Armenian wedding customs in the late nineteenth century? Did the male friends and family of the groom get together for something like a bachelor party? Did the bride's family host any kind of gethering for the groom and his family?
bvahan

[quote="Anonymous"]Let me pose the question differently...

Does anyone know about Armenian wedding customs in the late nineteenth century? [/quote]

just 2 links

www.bvahan.com/ggdolls

www.ArmenianWay.com/AW/Artsakhworld/History.htm
avedis

Well, I was asking about customs (practices), not costumes (clothing), but I'm very glad that you posted your link. Your dolls are beautiful.

I suspect that the men wearing the aprons are my great-grandfather's in-laws, but I can't find anything to support that idea.
etemtezcan
antispam: No

the men on left with something similar to dough making is probably making cigkofte (raw meatball).
this is a traditional food from kharput region made by very thin grounded meat, fine bulghur, hot spices snd hot pepper paste.
these ingredients are made a mixture, kneaded (impasted) for hours and turned into meatball form. Then it is served with greens and lemon juice.
McGenewed75

Guest wrote:Let me pose the question differently...

Does anyone know about Armenian wedding customs in the late nineteenth century? Did the male friends and family of the groom get together for something like a bachelor party? Did the bride's family host any kind of gethering for the groom and his family?

As far as my research is concern, wedding traditions in Armenia is usually incorporated with the freeing of two white doves. This will symbolize peace, love and happiness for the bride and groom's future. They also celebrate the wedding for two to three days consecutively. They usually exchange vows in the church where the procession heads to.
etemtezcan

from the book
The women of Turkey and their folk-lore, part 7
http://www.archive.org/details/womentur ... 00garngoog

a silver plate is put onto head of bride and a big red silk piece put on top of it. this silk piece flows down to feet
ribbons is used to tie silver plate and red silk.
a pair of cartoons ornated with bird feathers (google images sorguc) is attached to bride's head

bride dances with her father, small coins are showered her head during dance
groom's beard is shaved in presence of his friends, with jokes and story telling
after shaving, groom wears his clothes, attachs a sword to his belt (in ottoman empire, grooms are allowed to carry weapons and use accordingly on wedding day to prevent kidnapping of brides)

when groom reaches bride's house, he meets his mother-in-law, gets a present from her, kisses her hand and mother introduces groom to bride

priest reads psalm 89, gives bride's hand to groom's hand, reads some prayers and make groom and bride so close that their foreheads nearly touch each other. ties small crosses to their heads with red rope.
during this time, bride is encouraged to step on groom's feet.

after this groom hands bride to maids, and leaves house with his company.
bride her face closed follows groom's company with her maids.
no other ppl are allowed to be between two near groups on the way to church

in church, priest makes couple to wear blessed crowns, then eucharist thing (bread-wine given), lots of psalms, prayers etc.

when leaving church wheat and small coins are showered on their heads.
when groom reaches his house, a sheep is sacrificed, visitors pass over this blood to enter the house
priest removes the crowns at groom's house
a baby boy is put onto bride's knees, after baby is taken,
kids rush to remove socks of bride and get the coins which are put there before

when bride and groom are alone in their room, groom presents some jewellery to bride,
if bride thinks she demands better , she can acts indifferently to get a raise!!

after marriage, a lunch is given to friends, relatives which came for congragulations
after marriage, bride's mom-dad cannot visit her for 1 week.
on saturday following the wedding, bride wears red veil (which she has wear until his father-in-law orders her to remove, may take few years) and kisses his in-law father's and mother's hands. during this veil time, she cannot address his husband's older relatives (she uses kids to send messages or uses gestures), nor speak her husband in presence of older relatives
on 40th day of marriage, bride is taken to water well/fountain, she has to kiss hand of first person she will spot on the way.
when at the well/fountain, she has to rub some butter to the stones and throw some millet to the birds.
rizzy2011

Hmmmm... I think they are preparing their lunch.
lyssagale12

Armenian wedding traditions is very nice and unique.
It is very old and very popular all over the world.
Habbakuk

I don't think they are doing anything special, just sitting down to eat lunch together.