Armenian name for John

Discuss the origin of your family's last name. it's meaning and roots

Moderator: debbi

JACK R NASEP
Power Member

I have been told by a relative that the name NASEP is Armenian for
the name John. I have heard that Hovsep is the English spelling for John
or Joseph in Armenian. Hovanees, have you ever heard of the Nasep surname? My Grandfather John Franklin Nasep came form France (1894), but was thought to have had an Armenian background. Possibly, Nasep was Nasepian before emigration. That would be a pure guess, as I have not seen a passenger list or alien registration list with that spelling. Thanks,
Jack
Ned Boyajian

Hi, Jack, I'm not sure, but have always heard that
Hovanness is John
Hovsep is Joseph.
I've never heard of Nasep.
Sorry I'm not more helpful

Ned
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Thanks, Ned, for your reply. Could Hovsep sound like Nasep at the immigration station questioning and the agent wrote the name down like it sounds? I know anything is possible. Years ago while I was in New York City, I looked up the name Nasep in the large, large telephone book of
9 million people...and found not one Nasep listed.
Thanks, Jack
davit

Hi Jack
Want to mention that Nasibian is very common surname in Armenia. In Wstern Armenian pronounciation is Nasipian. And by rule of alteration of vowels original surname forming name should be Naseb (or Nasep in Western Armenian). I've never heard of name Naseb as a form of Hovhannes or Hovsep, and unfortunatly cannot suggest anything better. Anyway, both these names are of Hebrew origin.
Armenians lived in France from early times. Even last king of Kilikia Levon VI (XIV c) is berried with French kings. Currently Armenian community in France largest in Europe (besides Russia) - 400 000 people.
So I believe that you are of Armenian origin. It is something to be proud of. Just cannot help you to find exact meaning or etymology of the name Naseb.
Regards
Davit
JACK R NASEP
Power Member

Thanks, Davit, for your help. I have searched for over 30 years to pinpoint the roots of my surname. There has only been about 12 persons
past and present to carry this surname (?) which has lead me to believe the name was shortened back in 1894 when my Grandfather John Franklin Nasep emigrated from France. I just have not seen the original spelling. My grandfather appears to have not become a naturalized citizen. I have not been able to find a passenger ship manifest or record to view the name spelling. Again, thanks, and greetings to you from the USA.
Jack R. Nasep
I REMEMBER

Hi, Jack,

Unfortunately, i don't speak Armenian well enough to know if your surname is a translation of John.
Do you know where in France your grand father came from? Was he born in France?

You say:'' was thought to have had an Armenian bacckground''
In that case, i think, something would have been transmitted to your father. Armenians keep strong ties to their origin.

Anyway, '' nasep'' seems to be a czech word for: a dike.
Perhaps this could be a hint of research for you.

Good luck, best regards.
I REMEMBER

Besides beeing a czech word for dike, pavement, it is also an Arabic word but could not find the translation.
I saw that you had posted on a lebanese forum, perhaps you could ask someone what it means
Bye Bye!
C.K. Garabed

How's this for an off-the-wall conjecture:

His in-laws, who may have been numerous, called him 'pesah' which is 'bridegroom' and' the pesah' or 'pesan spelled backwards is nasep.
I REMEMBER

Hi C.K.Garabed,

I hope for Jack, that your humor is only concerning my "off the wall" conjecture!

I do appreciate hip hop culture but don't practice reverse speeking!

lol! no offence!